Friday, July 13, 2007

First road ride since the accident...

July 13th was my first road ride since breaking my collar bone. The ride was in Utah at 4500 feet and it's been nearly a month off the bike so my power numbers were way down but at least it's a start.


This ride was made possible by my decision (with orthopedist consultation) to have a plate surgically inserted into my shoulder to connect the two ends of the broken collar bone. The general consensus was that although I could have let the bone heal naturally it would have taken a LONG time to grow back together.


Within 48 hours of the surgery I already had fantastic mobility and was able to get back onto the bike within a week of the surgery. It will be a long time before I'm back in race shape (probably next year) but at least I'm riding again.


5 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

That's a pretty cool picture. Maybe they can insert something like that in my knee so I can get back to running....ya, ya you can just say "I told you so" right now.

August 23, 2007 1:29 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Looks like someone put a hairclip on your clavicle. I'm glad you're back to biking and updating your blog.

August 27, 2007 8:30 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Nice picture. How's the training going now? When is Julie going to start a blog and post pictures from her new digital SLR, over which I'm so envious?

September 16, 2007 2:15 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Anyone home??

February 14, 2008 10:00 PM  
Blogger McKenzie said...

Steve, this is your cousin McKenzie. My little brother Nathan, broke his collar bone this summer too. He had a plate with 4-6 screws (I can't remember exactly how many)... good luck recovering!

October 12, 2008 6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home