Friday, June 23, 2006

Just got my PowerTap for "Watt" it's worth

Well, after weeks of waiting, my new Mike Garcia wheels with the PowerTap SL hub finally arrived yesterday! It was good timing as well because my Fathers Day gift this year was a visit yesterday to the Human Performance Lab at a nearby university where I went in for V02Max/Threshold testing.

So, armed with the PowerTap SL, a copy of "Training and Racing with a Power Meter" and a CyclingPeaks WKO+ license, I'm ready to begin getting more serious about my training. It's all pretty exciting for this cyclist.

Basically, I've just finished my first full year of cycling (4200 miles since last June with 3000 miles so far this year) and hope to be able to build up to the point where I can actually do some road racing next year. Today I went out and did a two-and-a-half hour ride where I did a 20-minute best-effort, a 5-minute best-effort, a 1-minute best effort, and a couple of 15-second best efforts, interspersed with fairly easy riding. Here are my numbers:

5s: 1137 watts
1m: 595 watts
5m: 350 watts
20m: 305 watts

Interestingly, even though I tried to take things fairly easy in between the "best efforts" I still ended up with a NP150 of 3.51 W/kg partly due to the hilly nature of the course, I suppose.

Anyway, it's obvious from the numbers that I've never worked on sprints and one-minute efforts. I'm assuming these will have to *significantly* improve in order to be able to compete--especially in criteriums (criteria?).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home